Wednesday, November 24, 2004

bye bye, Cambodia

Haven't done too much the last few days. Laid on the beach in Sihounakville for a few days, and then journeyed back to Kampot. Yesterday, I went up to Bokor, which is a former mountain top resort that the French built. It's basically a bunch of deserted buildings, but quite interesting. The Khmer Rouge used Bokor as a prison, and you can see bullet holes all over one of the walls at the old hotel. The view from top was excellent, as the mountain just rises up out of the plains so it's like you're standing on top of the world. The "road" was, to say the least, a bit bumpy. Went up with a tour group, and in lieu of riding in the back of a cramped 4 wheel drive truck, I was in a Camry. Alas, I survived, and the 2 1/2 hour trek down.

Today, I'm off to Kep, which is a short 25 km jaunt. I'll probably just grab some lunch there - it's on the coast and famous for seafood. Kampong Trach is another 35 km down the road and that will be my stopping point. From there, it's just another day until I get to Vietnam, or, as they say, Viet Nam.

No comments: