Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Ayutthaya, Thailand

I'm here relaxing for probably the last time in several months. After flying back to Chicago I fly to Kansas (will know for sure when after I get back), drive to Chicago, drive to Kansas, fly to Chicago, fly to Philadelphia, then on to Istanbul and then Uz. Then three months of having to learn Russian and/or Uzbeki, and then two years of living on about $100 / month and existing on flat bread, potatos, and mutton (or so they say).

It has been getting up to about 80 or so here. Very lovely. Lots of wats around town - old ruins and newer ones as well. Ayutthaya was the ancient capital of Siam, before the Burmese sacked it in the mafnmnth century (19th maybe??). Anyways, it's very laid back and great to bicycle around - although I did get a flat this afternoon and will need to get that fixed. Also kicked a brick and busted up my big toe. Blood all over. I guess not everything is going to cooperate with me. It's still better then having to deal with Bangkok. The only drawback is all the mangy dogs roaming around - most with mottled tuffs of hair and many limping (that's what you get for sleeping on the road). They're usually well behaved, but will occasionally give chase. And no, I didn't get a rabies vaccination before I left.

Two more days then off to the airport early early Friday morning. I think I'm going to try and catch the train around 3:30 am. One hour to the airport. Flight leaves at 7:00 am. Stop in Tokyo and back in Chicago Friday afternoon. Customs, el, taxi, so much fun to look forward to.

So that's the story from Thailand. I probably won't have anything else to report until I return.

No comments: