Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Buddha's Birthday

Buddha's Birthday is a national holiday, so I headed to Busan to check out some of the festivities. The temples hang paper lanterns all over the place, I visited two previously seen temples and a new one as well.

Haedong Yonggung-sa

The first temple I visited was Haedong Yonggung-sa. It is located on the coast, with a dramatic vista. It's a bit of a ways from central Busan. If anyone reading this decides to go there, take bus #181 from Haeundae Station. None of the buses the on-line tourist information recommends get quite as close.
















Samgwang-sa

Next in line was Samgwang-sa. This is my second visit to this temple. Lots of lanterns and a wide range of concessions to buy.
















Beomeo-sa

Also my second visit to this temple. I arrived there as night was falling, which appears to be the best time to go. The lanterns were being lit and there was a large crowd participating in the festivities. The little road up the mountain was so overtaxed that it was faster to walk.

No comments: